Tuesday, October 24, 2006

To Whom Does The Day Belong?

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth (Proverbs 27:1 NIV)

My elderly Mother, even under the ravages of advancing Alzheimer’s Disease, still corrects me when I state with any confidence that I’m going to do such and such tomorrow. “Lord willing,” she says. Since I was a young teenager, Mother has faithfully surrendered the day’s priorities to God. That year, she’d been asked to teach Vacation Bible School and promised she’d be there ready to go. Mondays were dedicated to laundry. Mother would not leave her family without clean clothes so rose exceptionally early to do the laundry before leaving for church. These were the days before automatic washing machines. Laundry took much time and energy. I awoke to moans and groans, and found my mother face down on the floor. I helped her to the couch and notified the VBS director that my mother was ill. I’d never seen her so sick before. By the next day, the virus past and Mother was back to her industrious self. But, from that day on, she made certain to give God charge of each and every day of her life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home